Wednesday, May 26, 2010

I'll take mothballs for a hundred

I have a new obsession and it is called Estate Sales. If you’ve never been, then let me explain. When someone dies, quite often the family is left to deal with the contents of their dearly departed’s home. Removing a few of grandma’s things is fine, but what is a family to do with 112 capodimonte hummels from HSN? They call in the experts and they sell the entire contents of the house to the public. Crazy people like me stand in line outside the house waiting for the sale to start, hoping to find something special inside besides mothballs and 340 sugar packets from Bob Evans. Let me tell you, when those doors open it’s like the running of the bulls, if bulls were 75 year-olds with blue hair. I actually had an older lady push me out of the way because she thought I was reaching for the same item as she was – a half-empty bottle of Windex. Yes, Windex!! I go to these estate sales looking for antiques, and my competition is little old ladies looking for a deal on Windex. If not for the great source of depression-era glass, I would not put up with such elderly tomfoolery.

I must admit, it is quite eerie to walk into a stranger’s home to buy their belongings after they have died, especially when their pictures are still on the walls. Although the history of their belongings will never be known to me, I try to treat each item I purchase with the respect it deserves. Or I sell it on ebay. Luckily for me (and not so much the deceased) estate sales in Florida are endless. And for now, so is my obsession.

KP's Note: So, um, when I was reading the first paragraph of this post I truly, honestly thought that K-dub was referring to some random reality show that she was currently into. Don't laugh! With shows like Pawn Stars and Antique Road Show, I thought this was the next big thing, not K-dub's newest hobby. For the record, I could never go to an estate sale--I went to an auction once and while the old biddies bidding was quite entertaining, the deeply sorrowful sense that hung over the room was too much for me. But K-dub? If you see some amazing antique earrings, be sure to snatch them up for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment