Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Utterly Gleek-y

So. I've been on vacation for the past week. Seven glorious days filled with me not being anywhere near the, ahem, wonderful world of Minnesota. One week filled with culture, real shopping, close friends and drag queens. Yes, drag queens. (More about them in another post, I promise. We all know how I love the gays. Especially those who can give me tips on fashion and makeup.) But imagine my reaction when I realized that the final night of my trip coincided with the season finale of Glee. Shriek! Gasp! The horror! There was much nashing of my teeth. And groaning. And so SO much whining. Because as much as this girl loves her travel, she loves her musical television more.

Happily, I was able to catch the finale while on the west coast. But that meant attempting to ignore texts from friends who got to watch it three long hours before me. Texts that included things like...
"Ahhh! Glee is SO GOOD RIGHT NOW!"
"Oh sad! Do you even get to watch? You TOTALLY SHOULD BECAUSE IT'S SO GOOD!"
"OOOH! Vocal Adrenaline is KILLING IT."
"If you watch? Have lots of Kleenex."
Clearly I have great friends. My best friend last night, though, was my west coast friend who rearranged our final evening plans just so I could catch the finale. The only catch? She had never seen an episode. So my Cliff's Notes version of the show pre-finale went something like this:
"So Mr. Schuester, the hot Spanish teacher, took over Glee club and he's struggling to get it going and keep it going. Oh yeah--he has a psycho wife who pretended to be pregnant for FAR TOO LONG after finding out she had a hysterical pregnancy because she's an idiot whose main hobby is lying. But no worries because they got divorced last week. Thank God. Oh yeah, there's a pregnant cheerleader who got preggers by a hot football player who is totally going to be my future husband and we have no clue what she'll do with the baby but she's give birth tonight! Hopefully not during their Sectional performance, which the club has to place at or they're dunzo because of the cheerleading coach. Oh yeah, there's a lot of people in Glee that I want to be friends with and they're super-talented and even more adorable. Really? You just need to watch the show. Like, for real."

So then we're watching the show and I'm sobbing and squealing every three seconds while attempting to fill in the plotholes for my friend. Which is REALLY FREAKIN' HARD when apparently every lead male on the show got bitten by the "I love you" bug. WTF, writers? So after an entire season of great character development and writing you felt that the best closure for the season was for all three male leads to profess their love even though it seems really out of left field for most of them? Really?!? So right now? My thoughts from last night's episodes can be summed up in the one statement I made to my friend. "I SWEAR the guys don't just run around professing their love all the time. I swear it's better than that."

I'm not sure she believes me. Perhaps if she vacationed in my neck of the woods she would. Because when surrounded by forests and conservative billboards, it's a lot easier to get into a brilliant musical show. As wonderful as the finale was last night, it was overshadowed by my utter gleekiness as I tried to cram an entire season's synopsis into three minutes and then explain stuff in between musical numbers. But the episode was satisfying and my appetite is slaked...for now. But rest assured that in the future I am planning all further vacation plans around crucial episodes. Unless it's a reunion with K-Dub. Because then you know we'll be camped out in front of a massive flat-screen, passing wine and popcorn back and forth in between critical plotpoints.

No comments:

Post a Comment