Monday, May 10, 2010

Our new idol

You gotta hand it to Betty White--she's worked successfully in the entertainment business for over fifty years, starred in one of the most beloved sitcoms of all time and is a in a sea of successful actors and actresses. And thanks to Facebook, she can not only add "SNL Host" to her stellar resume, but she can bullet-point that with the fact that she gave the show it's highest ratings in two years. Not bad for an 88 year-old woman.

And not only did she give the other hosts this season a run for their money (I'm looking at you, John Hamm and Megan Fox--your stints were lackluster at best), but she killed every scene she was in. And she had the women alum from the past 15 years clamoring to be in a scene with her. Amy Poehler, Ana Gasteyer and Molly Shannon all looked more than a little starry-eyed during various portions of the show. And no, I don't blame them. This woman is amazing and while I may be jumping on the Betty Bandwagon a little late (though I did join the Facebook group that advocated for her hosting gig days after it was invented--go me!), I'm declaring myself to have a new hero. Any woman who can get on live television in her twilight years and talk about balls and muffins with a straight face has my undying love and affection. I only hope I'm half as feisty as Ms. White when I'm a card-carrying member of the AARP.

No comments:

Post a Comment